Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Lilli&Tom ningyo installation 2004

This is the lower section of the very first Lilli&Tom window installation. It was in the Ivory Street Window of Craft Queensland during November 2004. There were 20 dolls (Series 1) on 20 papier mache houses with their individual story on each one. It was a delight to see the passers-by read the stories of these little Brisbane people. When I encounter people who remember the exhibit they often remark that they know someone just like one of the dolls. Then they would ask if I knew that person too. "No," I'd say and smile at the coincidence, perhaps I'll met them one day.

If you're wondering, the word ningyo is a Japanese word that roughly translates to human form or doll. I borrowed this word to use instead of doll because I was interested in using the dolls to represent ourselves and our culture rather that as childerns' playthings. Not that I mind playthings:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home