Thursday, June 15, 2006

Grade 5 make Lilli&Tom style dolls

Recently, you may remember, I gave a talk on cloth doll making at Sandgate library (if not see my previous post Lilli&Tom at Sandgate Library). The Grade 5 class have since been working on making their own Lilli&Tom style cloth dolls. Last Friday I went to visit them and spent a lively two hours taking photos of their work to-date and helping out.
Here are some of their creations...

This is James. I've been told he lives in a brick house of medium size. He likes to go to the gym and has a black belt in karate.


Jack the Wrestle on the left is waving to his friends. He hasn't seen them in a while because he's been away on holidays to Melbourne.

Jim, the star-eyed one, is a fisherman who catches fish from the sea during the week but catches fish from the river on the weekend just for fun.


I was pleased to meet Hula, a Fijian girl. Her favourite food is mild curry. She's learning traditional dancing.

Then there was the delightful Miss Sarah J.H. with the pink lips. She loves hanging out with her friends eating doughnuts. She has a pet dog called Misty.


These two Irishmen are Adam O'Drescil (right) and Mike O'Gara (left). Adam loves rollerskating and Mike plays Rugby.


This is Jacqui from France. She loves rockin' to Green Day.


From right to left we have JD from NSW he goes to the gym and surfs; then there's Sarah McIvor (another Sarah!) from Holland(!) who likes dance, gymnastics and trampoline; lastly is a mystery man who wasn't willing to reveal himself just yet.


Mutant always wanted to be a soccer player for Germany but as he's a vampire he wasn't allowed to play:(


Melissa from England enjoys taking long strolls in the park accompanied by her precious little chihuahua, Mary.


Last but not least is Michael he plays both rugby and soccer. He's a happy-go-lucky kind of guy who just loves weekend BBQs with heaps of his friends around.

I think Grade 5 have been doing a great job on their first ever sewing efforts. It reminds me of my first sewing attempts, a small teddy bear which I called Rags because of its messy stitiches on the outside. Rags had the best personality, he became a special treasure of mine. I often think of him now he's gone, lost on one of my turbulent adventures from my younger days.

After the photos we all spent time working on the dolls, I gave them a few tips which I hope will help. Sewing really is a wonderful pursuit - if you can sew well, it gives you the confidence to tackle anything, I guess sport must likewise hold the same feeling. For me the needle and thread - a small silver wand to command.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your doll and doll clothes is very simple unique...very nice..

12:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home