Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Lilli&Tom: Where it All Began


Lilli&Tom life-size dolls, whom are the main focus of this blog, had their beginnings in more modest dimensions. Lilli&Tom was the name I gave to two series of artist miniature cloth dolls representing the creative community in Brisbane. Twenty dolls in each series, each doll with its own story and collector's set.

The name Lilli&Tom was derived from Lilliputian, a race of very tiny humans in the book Gulliver's Travels; Tom refers to Tom Thumb ,the tale of a small boy who stood as big as your thumb - so in essence Lilli&Tom were little people.

Later I thought of photographing the dolls in the places mentioned in their stories, but their size would have made it very difficult. So life-size Lilli&Tom was created!! I had not called any of the previous dolls Lilli or Tom and so I decided to make The Lilli and The Tom. Now I take them places all over Brisbane and photograph their lives out and about. It's really fun getting the community involved and the feedback is always so positive. They are not so easy to take around, I need an assistant with me, but its worth the effort and I enjoy having them as a part of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home